Monday, May 15, 2006

Day Six

The weekend, as I predicted, didn't go so well. Maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Friday night I partied a bit. Saturday I didn't get up until almost 11:00 am, and had Stouffer's French Bread Pizza for lunch. Unfortunately I was famished from not eating dinner Friday night, so I ate all of it. I had a lot of running around to do, and after visiting my mom and getting everything else done, we went to visit my aunt, who's undergoing chemotherapy, and brought her some Chinese food. I ate a very small portion of pepper chicken (yum) and rice, and skipped the egg roll and dessert items my aunt offered. We stayed and visited for a while, and by the time I got home it was after 9:00 pm. I really had thought I'd be home earlier than that and able to take my oil dose.

I had plans to meet friends for a small party, and I just couldn't find a two hour window in which to take the oil. I knew I'd be drinking once I got to the party, and that would be in about a half hour, so I decided that I'd have to skip a day. Not the best way to go about the fourth day of a new diet, but I just couldn't make more time in the day. Feeling guilty about it, I left for the party.

The gathering lasted into the wee hours, and afterwards (of course), my friends decided we should go eat. I had told myself that under no circumstances was I eating late at night like that, but heady conversation conspired with a quantity of beer to thwart that plan. So I ate, and not too lightly. Something about a late-night after party meal is just so appealing to me. Food seems to taste better, and good conversation clouds the mind to the amount being consumed. Thank God it wasn't a buffet!

So Saturday was a complete bust diet-wise. Way to go me. My lack of recent social stimulus is probably partly to blame; I was very eager to see these people and have fun that night. Still, the guilt tempers any fun I had a bit.

Sunday I rose at around 10:30 am. Mother's Day. I spent the day doing the things one does on that day, heading out to see my mother, taking her to see my grandmother, and then over to my aunt's. We headed out to a restaurant, at which I ate a normal-sized meal, and I did eat it all considering that would be my only meal of the day.

I got home around 8:30 pm, and since it had been two hours since any food intake, took my three tablespoon dose of oil. Not as gross this time. I washed back the greasiness with almost two glasses of water, made sure to wait an hour before any Diet Pepsi, and it worked out well. I think the once-a-day routine is going to have to be how I do this. I just can't seem to find enough time to do it any other way between work and family obligations. And I don't want to be sucking down oil in front of everyone. It's not that I'm that embarassed to do it, I just don't want to be explaining the diet to everyone I come into contact with.

Today's weight: 189 pounds. No improvement. I wasn't really expecting much after the way this weekend went, so I'm not surprised.

I honestly have to say though that my appetite doesn't seem any different than before I started. Maybe it will just take time. On Friday, I was stuffed after a smaller meal, but this weekend I just seemed to be hungry all the time. Maybe it's all the drinking I did, which also doesn't help my weight any. But the way I look at it, if I'm not having fun, what use is it to be skinny? I'm not going to make myself miserable to lose this weight. Social interaction remains higher on my list of needs than weight loss. That could be a detriment to my continued weight loss, but I'll keep plugging away.

In the comments, Stephen mentions that "consistency made more of a difference to me than anything else", and I'll keep that in mind as I try to work out a doable schedule for the oil consumption.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I'm hoping you've kept it up. It takes 4-6 weeks before you really get a handle on what life in the SLD diet is like.

Looking forward to another post.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for letting me in here. I just want to let everybody know that I have published a diet recipe about the quickest way to lose weight. Feel free to check it and just leave a comment here on how effective it will be.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home