Saturday, June 03, 2006

Fate Intervenes

Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair.

I know "fair" is a word for children for the most part. Most things aren't "fair" in the same sense you grew up believing. A close relative very dear to me passed away after a lengthy struggle. The subsequent arrangements, consolation, commiseration and deep grieving and depression caused me to abandon the diet. I know it's no excuse, but when something like that happens, my own petty wishes to be in better shape pale compared to the fight for someone's life.

It's difficult to think about a diet when you cry at the mention of someone's name, and spend your days grieving for all the things that could have been and now never will.

This doesn't mean I've given up. It's cliché to say "he would have wanted it that way", but he would never have stood for me giving up on anything or anyone.

So I'll continue the diet. I hadn't really progressed far enough to see if it was working for me, and I'm still interested to find out, and eager to lose the excess pounds.

Before all this happened, I bought a new scale. My old scale was very cheap, and had the dial that turns as you step on it. I've had it for a few years, and I began to question its accuracy because day-to-day it read different odd things, sometimes off by several pounds until I'd step on, step off, step on to get some kind of consistency. But it always was pretty consistent, and I could pretty much tell by the looseness of my pants that it was accurately gauging a 1 or 2 pound loss (or gain).

So I get the new scale, a medium-priced digital model. While my old scale is reading 189 pounds, the new one reads 198.2! I stepped on and off that thing several times, not believing my eyes. I've stepped on scales at relatives homes, at a place where there's a shipping scale, and several other places. I am convinced I don't weight 198.2. But of course, I threw out the box before ever trying the scale (doh!). So I can't return it.

Anyone out there have an experience like this with scales? I'm going to my mom's today, and I'll try her scale and see how it compares. Really frustrates me though, I was hoping to post some more accurate weights here with the new scale. Now I'm not sure I can trust it.

I will continue this diet regardless, and post the results as they happen, good or bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home