Monday, July 10, 2006

A Brief Hiatus

My last post concerned the fact that I seem to be struggling to lose weight with the Shangri-La diet.

I received a comment to that post from Dr. Seth Roberts, the author of the book, and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here:
Forgive a self-serving comment but I have to wonder whether your recent weight gain is due to the effects of whatever you did to get from 225 to 190 wearing off. For example, if you lost that weight by eating unfamiliar food (which my theory says is less fattening than familiar food), well, unfamiliar food eventually becomes familiar. And the lost weight is regained.

The test of my explanation is to stop the Shangri-La diet and see what happens. If you stop gaining weight, probably the diet was causing it. If you continue gaining weight, probably the diet was not causing it and may even have been slowing it down.

An alternative is just to add to the oil the "extra credit" stuff in the book to increase the strength with which your set point is pushed down.

In reply: I lost the weight from 225 in a rather non-healthy way (addressed in The Back Story). I skipped meals, I fasted, I basically didn't eat for days on end, all the while subsisting largely on Diet Pepsi, beer and cigarettes. I wish I could say that I lost it by eating unfamiliar food, but I didn't know of the diet at that time and I probably lost it in the most unhealthy and unsustainable way possible. But, I've kept that weight off for the most part.

Since I read that comment, I decided to stop taking the ELOO and see what happens. Well, my appetite is back in full force. I'm suddenly hungry for snacks, I feel like I need dinner when I often skipped it on the diet, and I can't wait for lunch by 10:00 am (I don't eat breakfast). Those are some pretty severe changes for 2 days without a simple dose of ELOO. So I still believe in the effectiveness, even if it's mildly psychological.

I think I'll have to go back to the ELOO, or substitute sugar water, or I'm going to be gaining some weight here real soon based on my hunger level. I have to re-read the "Extra Credit" section of the book and try to implement some of those options as well.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and offer insight Dr. Roberts. I appreciate it.

While I'm at it, today's weight: 196.4 pounds.
No real gain or loss.

Since I haven't gained, I think I'll give it one more day without the ELOO, just to see if my hunger settles any.

3 Comments:

Blogger J Weighty said...

I find this very interesting. Although I've lost weight, I have my doubts about SLD, and have considered going off of it for a while to see what happens. I haven't had the dramatic "forgot to eat" experience that some describe. I have also missed several days or half-days of oil just because of convenience; most recently, I skipped seven of my usual twice-daily doses in a row, and I didn't really feel much of an effect.

Keep us posted.

9:44 AM  
Blogger rockyrook said...

Just to help (if you want to switch to walnut oil) ... I went to Spectrum's website. Spectrum is a company that makes walnut oil. From there, I found that Whole Foods sells walnut oil. My wife found the WO at Sprout's. I'm not sure if that is a regional or national retailer. Good luck in your quest!

8:09 AM  
Blogger warmfuzzies said...

DOn't use substitute sugar water. You have to use real sugar. Substitute sugar has no claories and that will not work with this diet. It has to be real sugar.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home